Re: [Icehouse] Volcano question

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 01 Dec 2006 14:31:21 +0000
Bart J. wrote:
> In a game with more than two players, your success depends quite
> a bit on what the player who goes immediately before you does -
> and what state they leave the board in. [...]
> Is this a problem with Volcano itself?  I find myself wondering
> if it would help to have a mechanic to reverse, or randomize,
> the turn order.  It's hardly the only game where turn order has
> such an effect, but it seems more prominent in Volcano.

If it seems more prominent, it's only because Volcano often has
more than two players. I mean, in a two player game, your opponent
can only make it easier for *you* to win. =^>

Let's take another example: Chess. If two players of widely
separated skill levels play, it's not much fun either, and it's
only educational if the less-skilled player is interested in
learning. if two players of equal skill levels play, the game can
be frustratingly difficult. Most people take this into account
before suggesting a nice game of Chess.

It's really cool of your friend to play Volcano with the full
knowledge of nearly certain defeat, but it's always going to be
a bit frustrating for serious players to share a game with less
serious players, even if you vary the rules to even out the
playing field.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx

PS:
> others will just aim to collect more pieces for themselves, and
> not care what moves they're leaving open.

This is my play level. I do *care* =^>, but I don't have enough
experience to visualize the board after my move and analyze it for
possibilities, and have a difficult enough time finding moves for
myself to spare energy for the effort.