Re: [Icehouse] Volcano question

  • From"James Hazelton" <jameshazelton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 1 Dec 2006 10:36:30 -0600
I find Volcano to be a much better game with only two players, for Bart's reason, but others too.  For one, there's more room for planning a move a few turns ahead if the board doesn't change so dramatically between every opportunity.  We often joke how there's really no point in looking at the bored if it's not your turn--the perfect move you notice will either be taken or spoiled--so it's a good game to play while reading a book.  Further, with such a range of possible moves, and the pressure to get at least two pieces on every turn, I find that Volcano suffers greatly from turn delay.  It's bad enough waiting for someone to make a move in chess, but when you have to wait for three people, it makes the game genuinely less fun.  I've actually had to pull the sand timer out of my purple bag at times because other players were being unreasonably slow.  Thus, I consider Volcano to be the best 2-player game in PwP; I'll choose a different game when there's four of us.