[Icehouse] Giant Martian Coaster boards

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 8 Jan 2007 22:24:35 -0600
Hey all,

I've been looking around for an easy, cheap thing to make Giant Martian Coasters out of, and I think I've found it.  You know the boards that kids use in Science Fairs to put their Title, Hypothesis, Data, etc, on?

http://www.sciencestuff.com/playground/SF-DbSetup.shtml

Well, my local "American Science and Surplus Store" has these things - and they're 36" x 48" (36" high, a full panel 24", and 2 fold-in 12" panels).  THis can very easily be cut down to 36x36.  Perfect!  Queen Giant pyramids are 8" square, so needing to have three 8-9" squares and a bit of space in between means a 36" square board is exactly what I've been looking for.  And totally hard to find as a mat board or unfolded cardboard piece.  So, folding works for me!!  :)

What I need to do next is to make a page full of triangles (with perhaps a 1.5-2" base) that are just like the triangles on the coasters.  I can draw the squares on the boards, but making 4 x 28 triangles all the same are a pain, so I figure I'll make a page of triangles - then print them out on a full page sticker, cut them out and stick them on.  Any other easy ideas??  Does someone perhaps already HAVE a page of 28 (or more) triangles on a PDF ready for download??

When I get a nice set done up, I'll post photos somewhere.

Just wanted to pass along my find of "this can work!"

Carol
 - she who is ecstatic that we can have Giant Martian Coasters events at Origins in July!!  Yay!!!