[Icehouse] Re: Ikkozendo is now on the Wiki... and needs a final name (re-send)

  • DateMon, 15 Jan 2007 13:11:31 -0700
> I see now that the confusion was on my side. I thought that if the
> Master adjusted both koans, it would always be in order to turn them
> *both* into counter-examples to the guess.

Ahh, OK, I think I see the disconnect--should I revise the wiki somehow,

to clarify?

> If I now understand the rules correctly, I imagine that a player might
> make a guess, the Master might adjust both koans, and then only one
> of the two resulting koans actually disproves the guess.

Right. That was the idea; and, no, I haven't made that explicit. Yes,
ideally, only one of the two resultant koans would provide a disproof.
The other adjusted koan is only adjusted to get pieces (i.e. to deal
with the fact that there's only 15 pieces, and only one of a given
size and color).

I can add a line about that to the wiki, to whit:
Currently:
"If a Student guesses and is incorrect, the Master must adjust one or
both of the two koans to disprove the guess while ensuring that, after
any and all adjustments, both koans retain their original relationships
to the rule (i.e. the true koan remains true and the false koan remains
false). The Master may add or remove pyramids, if needed, to make a
disproof."

Proposed Revision:
"If a Student guesses and is incorrect, the Master must adjust one or
both of the two koans to disprove the guess while ensuring that, after
any and all adjustments, both koans retain their original relationships
to the rule (i.e. the true koan remains true and the false koan remains
false). The Master may add or remove pyramids, if needed, to make a
disproof. Ideally, when adjusting both koans, the Master will try to
ensure that only one of them provides a disproof; otherwise,
particularly in a turn-based game, an advantage might be given to the
next Student to get a guess."

...Or do you think this sort of stuff should be broken out into its own
section (ex: "Strategy" or "Playing Considerations" or "About Secret
Rules" or some-such)? I guess I could ask, "Is this sort of
consideration
'rule-like,' and should be 'enforced,' or is this more of a suggestion
for 'good play' or general ponderings about the nature of the
Buddha-nature?"

Thanks for your help in hammering out the last nuances. I'd like to get
this variant out of Games In Development soon... mainly so I can add it
to my planned "Pocket Pyramids: X Games for a Treehouse Stash" PDF with
confidence. (I have spoken with Josh about this book and another general

compilation PDF of easy-to-learn-and-demo pyrmaid games for more than
one
stash.)

David