Re: [Icehouse] Re: Ikkozendo is now on the Wiki... and needs a final name (re-send)

  • FromKory Heath <kory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 15 Jan 2007 13:33:51 -0800
David Artman wrote:

Proposed Revision:
"If a Student guesses and is incorrect, the Master must adjust one or both of the two koans to disprove the guess while ensuring that, after any and all adjustments, both koans retain their original relationships to the rule

I think the phrase "must adjust one or both of the two koans to disprove the guess" contributed to my original confusion, since it can be misinterpreted as saying that when you adjust both koans, they must both disprove the guess. How about something like this:

"If a Student guesses and is incorrect, the Master must adjust one of the koans so that it disproves the guess. In doing so, the Master may remove pieces from the koan or add pieces to it. The Master may also use pieces from the other koan, or adjust the other koan in any way, as long as after all adjustments, both koans retain their original relationships to the rule (i.e. the true koan remains true and the false koan remains false), and one of them disproves the guess."

I think that does a decent job of encouraging the proper motivations (i.e. try to just build one counter-example and don't change too much), while still ultimately allowing the Master to do whatever he/she feels is necessary. I wouldn't bother mentioning the "unfair advantage" explanation - most people won't care much about it, and those that do care will already understand it.

-- Kory