Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Rule Clarification/confirmation

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 28 Jan 2007 16:38:13 -0500
On Jan 28, 2007, at 4:19 PM, William M. Reed wrote:

I have a question to be sure that I'm correctly understanding one of the rules for building. When I use green to build, I have to choose from the smallest size available. Am I correct in belieing this means no matter what color I want, I have to pick the smallest available? In other words, if I want red, but they're only available in medium, and there are still small yellows, I cannot take the medium red? Am I reading that right?

I'm not complaining about rules, I just want to be sure I'm playing by them corectly, so that when I challenge Andy next Origins ( :- D ) he doesn't say, "No, you've misread that rule (and now your strategies are all shot to hell)" -- though he likely wouldn't say that last part aloud.

No, you've misread that rule (and now your strategies are all shot to hell). At least you still have time to plan for Origins ;)

The rule is that you choose a color, and then take the smallest available piece of that color. So, say you choose blue, and there are only mediums and larges left. Then, you take one of the medium blues, even if there are small greens and reds available.

Something to watch out for that I missed the first time I read the rules is that you can only build pieces of a color that you already have in the system. For instance, if you have only a green piece in a system, you can only build green pieces. If you have a yellow and red piece in a system with a green star, then you can only build yellow or red pieces in that system. I'm not sure how I missed it, since it's stated pretty unambiguously, but I played the first few games without that rule and the game was much less interesting.

I would recommend playing a few games on SuperDuperGames if you really want to learn Homeworlds. Playing against experienced players can really help your strategy, and playing a computer version of the game that implements all of the rules correctly (as far as I know) can help you realize when you've made a mistaken assumption about the rules.