Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Rule Clarification/confirmation

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 29 Jan 2007 10:36:18 -0800
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:20:42 -0500, "Don Sheldon" wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Brian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Something to watch out for that I missed the first time I read the
> > rules is that you can only build pieces of a color that you already
> > have in the system. For instance, if you have only a green piece in a
> > system, you can only build green pieces. If you have a yellow and red
> > piece in a system with a green star, then you can only build yellow
> > or red pieces in that system. I'm not sure how I missed it, since
> > it's stated pretty unambiguously, but I played the first few games
> > without that rule and the game was much less interesting.
>
> I made the same mistake in my first few games, so don't feel bad that
> you missed it.  Going back, yeah, I felt like an idiot too for not
> seeing it the first time even though it's plain as day.  Perhaps some
> emphasis is in order on the rules pages.

I attempted my first game of Homeworlds with my son this weekend. We
also forgot to play with this rule, (even though I _know_ I had read
it at least once). So here I am feeling stupid, (but grateful for this
list). But it would definitely appear that this is a common problem in
first-time play.

I don't know what might be the best way to emphasize the restriction
in the rules. Maybe a new section at the end of the rules:

	Reminders

	* You may not build a ship if there is a smaller ship of the
	  same color in the global stash.

	* You may not build a ship if you don't already have a ship of
          the same color in the same star system.

	* You may not attack a ship unless you have a ship that's the
          same size or larger in the same star system.

Would that help, you think?

-Carl

PS. If the two-player variant, ("Binary Homeworlds"), is officially
recognized by the author, it would be nice to have its adaptations
listed in a final "Variant for two players" section of the rules. Is
John Cooper reading this list, or should I be CC:ing him with some
address?