Re: [Icehouse] Choosing Games wiki page--The First Elitism for Looney Games?

  • From"Carlton Noles" <carlton.noles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 13 Apr 2007 12:55:11 -0400
The last ( I believe ) Icehouse Games Competition was underway shortly before the announcement of TreeHouse (not the release but the initial anouncement of the idea of TreeHouse). The person in charge of organizing it ( I believe it was Jonathan Leistiko but correct me if the name or spelling is wrong) Vanished. I share your concerns / observations about the Idea that only certain games make the 'elite' list. I myself have designed a few games and I have varying opinions as to the quality of them (my own games that is). There seem to be very few avenues to getting them out to a larger audience. As you noted Hypo thermia is OOP and the game design competition is toast. I had hoped that the Wiki might be that vessel but if we immediately relegate newer games to a sort of 'by the way' status, how will we know if there aren't some gems out there? By the way, Brian, your email hit my inbox as I was typing this and as I see it this is the essence of David's problem with your proposal (correct me if I'm wrong). You propose a list of the most popular and widely played games. Well then, how does a newer game ever make that list if the wiki, now one of the few widely recognized resources for these games immediately gives newer games a back seat. How does a newer game get that audience when the audience is being directed elsewhere from the get go. Don't misunderstand I don't think that your list is a bad idea rather i think there needs to be a way for a designer author to get that 'seal of apporoval' that you used to get from being published in Hypothermia or Winning the Ice Game Competition (which is how most of the non looney games on that list got there in the first place.

enough rambling from me for now.

--
Carlton "Kermit" Noles