Re: [Icehouse] Generic Gnostica Deck

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 17 Jul 2007 11:34:10 -0400
On 7/17/07, David Artman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
RE Square cards:

In closing, my noodling about with layout has shown that they will end up
looking like Monopoly deed cards, if I go with my initial idea of a "band"
across the top. Therefore, I am going to try other basic designs for the
Suits (using Andrew's card coloration as inspiration), in the hopes of
giving the set a consistent "feel". I want the Minor and Royalty and Majors
to be recognized at a glance without seeming like a jumbled together mess.

The point of being square is so that facing doesn't matter.  In my
mind that means you want four way symmetry so that, no matter which
way you pick up the card, it has /a/ top on top.  (Does that even make
sense?)  By that theory, you'd need the name (or icon / name
equivalent) on all four sides.  Squeezing game text in starts to sound
difficult though...

Anyway, just a thought.

And while I'm on it, you will /definitely/ want four way symmetric backs.

I am all about the "immidiate recognizableness" of the card's power.
The Tarot deck that I have and use for Gnostica happens to have the
lesser arcana (and royalty) very obviously color coded.  It's quite
simple to tell at a glace where what powers are on the board, it helps
a lot.

--
 I've also found that after a few games, you really do start to learn