RE: [Icehouse] Game recommendations

  • DateThu, 06 Sep 2007 13:59:56 -0700
> From: miyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I am going to need 5-6 games that people would recommend as being decent
> games to use.  Something fun, 2-4 players, plays in under 40 minutes, and
> doesn't need any ridiculous extras.  I have standard things, chessboards,
> marbles, pawns, poker chips, dice etc.

If I may be so bold, I feel that Moon Shot is an excellent "kids game"
and its got just enough oddity to scoring to make it a bit of a mental
exercise. For example, one can win with the lowest *or* highest score,
depending on the game ending condition; and that game end condition
*just* ends game, while final score determines the winner, unlike many
games where achieving the end condition *makes* one the winner. So
there's a bit of unconventional thinking required; there's a strategic
focus that's a bit different from "score fast, score often;" and the
game at its root is a fun little dexterity challenge.

I can also say that Armada is great for kids, though it can lead to some
argumentation about precise positioning (the rules clearly state that,
if there's any uncertainty then the answer is always "no," but that
doesn't stop some folks...).

I'll second Treehouse--it's almost too easy to teach, though (like,
what? three rules?).

Drip is a GREAT little game, but quite simple (two rules, basically?).

For older kids, I'd definitely bring out Zendo or Ikkozendo, because
they are so awesome for mental stimulation and creativity. But there's
also a definite age minimum (any idea how old is old enough, Grand
Masters and parents?).

And I'm spent....
:-)
David