Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Tallying and Other Procedures

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 29 Sep 2007 09:28:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Caleb Welton wrote:

"This table has no contradictions,"

This is only valid if you assert that
 B = C  AND  B > D  BUT C !> D
is not a contradiction.

 If you think B and C are equally strong, how can you believe that
only one of them is better than D?

I don't think B and C are equally strong. I have come to no conclusion about which one is stronger. That's what a blank spot on the matrix means -- or a "tie" in the listing method. In fact, if you strip away the framing A and E, it's exactly the same as leaving C off the ballot; and we know that an incomplete ballot expresses "no opinion".

To put it another way: the listing method obscures the distinction between "unresolved" and "exactly equal". That's why it's less expressive.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't thrown you in military prison without trial,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're patriotic.