Re: [Icehouse] Discard and Draw in Zark City

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 27 Feb 2008 12:02:55 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Christopher Hickman wrote:

On Wednesday, February 27, 2008, at 11:09AM, "Andrew Plotkin" <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Assuming I'm right, the rule could be worded to "...then draw one, two, or
three cards. You can never hold more than six cards."

Or "...then draw until you have six cards total or you've drawn three, whichever comes first."

That's less clear to me.

(The other suggestion, "draw up to three cards", unfortunately collides with a common game idiom meaning "draw until you have three cards in your hand.")

I see now that it was trying to stay true to Zarcana, but I think a DRAW action of "Draw three cards and then discard, if necessary, down to a hand of six." would be a much cleaner and simpler rule.

A little simpler, but I don't see it as a huge win. It would also change the balance towards drawing -- drawing when your hand is full would always be tempting, and it would be easier to get the hand you want. (Meaning the attack cards you want.) I would have to be convinced that this makes the game better.

It also would allow for digging through the deck faster to get to the shuffle, which would be a good thing, in my opinion.

Oh, we did that anyway. I spent a lot of turns discarding three and drawing three.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't shipped you to Syria for interrogation, it's
for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're innocent.