Re: [Icehouse] Number of players / Game popularity

  • FromS Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Feb 2009 13:04:29 -0500
You seem to be asking a really broad question.  Does icehouse scale
well?  Do you mean the actual icehouse game, or the many games which
use the icehouse system?

Icehouse the game I think starts to fFall apart at around 5 players.
I'm not an expert on that subject.

But the many games within the icehouse system -- that is, any specific
game which uses the colored pyramids -- usually indicates how many may
play at a time.  I think most games work with players, in general.
But if there are specific limitations, they will usually say.

As an example, Zendo works perfectly with 4 players.  With less
players, the game devolves to arbitrary amounts of guessing.  With
more players, it can be fFrustrating when you have a good idea, but
you have to wait and wait and wait while everyone else attempts to
steal your win.

I really like Alien City, which is conceived as a 2 player game.
However with minimal adaptation, I invented a 3 player variant which
works very very well.

The short answer to your question is: It depends.  Most people seem to
identify one game they really really like, and will play the game in
the way they think will work best with their preferred number of
players.