Re: [Icehouse] Number of players / Game popularity

  • FromDon Sheldon <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 20 Feb 2009 14:43:59 -0500
On 2/20/09, David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While both sound good, I wonder if they might sort of break the Mondo
> economy? That is to say, someone who is doing well with Mondos has an
> advantage when their turn comes and they think they are one or two binary
> trees away from the solution. Normally, one can "spam" guessing, getting new
> disproof koans all the while, to roll to a victory. Having it go round-robin
> might hamstring the person who has a lot of stones, while giving too much of
> an advantage to some who otherwise hasn't done well with Mondos.
>
> The auction thing mitigates this somewhat--if it's my turn and I have stone
> advantage, I get my one free guess and then I have the stick WRT winning a
> follow-up auction. But I could also be "baited" by having someone else with
> a lot of stone feign starting an auction just to siphon off my stone (i.e.
> they bid 0, while I bid thinking I'm going up against all of their
> accumulated stones). Hmmm... OK, it adds another layer of strategy, for
> sure. But I'm not sure I like the dilution of the purity of the base rules
> (and this is from the guy who wrote Ikkozendo).

Do it like a chinese silent auction: the one who bids the most pays as
much as the second highest bid, all other stones are returned.

It matters more in larger games, crossing your fingers for the next
seventeen million students to not get it before your turn comes back
is... tough.

--