Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter 2009?

  • FromS Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 20 Feb 2009 17:02:28 -0500
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:30 PM, David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Winter 2009 IGDC - Yes or no.

I dunno, are there new games to contest?

> Restriction - Product/component, mechanical, terminological?

I like the notion of a pink pyramid restriction, but I wonder how many
games would actively use the pink specifically, and how many would
simply be colorless, so "pink" is just as valid in the end design as
"black" or "plaid."  I suppose a limit to consider might be "Your game
entry must use one set of pink pyramids, and one set of multi-colored
treehouse pyramids (rainbow or Xeno)."  That might be too limiting and
weird.  A well conceived restriction might be interesting, I just
don't want to see it become too arbitrary.

> Judging Categories - Yes or no; and if so what and how weighted?

Hm, not a bad idea, but I think a great debate would surround the
subject of how points should be divided, what weights should be
applied, and how valid it is to win based on one criteria in place of
another.  This sounds a lot like government.  I would much rather see
Judges' ratings include a useful, targeted critique of the games,
which should always attempt to include information about the areas you
outline.  Simply saying "Replayability: 4/10" doesn't really say that
much.  Although I guess if judges want to submit their rating comments
like that, it's better than nothing.  To address your question
directly: No, judging categories will get messy.  Just give us scores,
and a place to give our comments and thoughts.

> David Artman
> Once and Future IGDC Coordinator

Cheers!
--Scott