Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter 2009?

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 23 Feb 2009 14:52:00 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, David Molnar wrote:

Dale,
I'd just like to point out that you express a concern about the effects of
voting strategically under the Condorcet or ranked pairs method, then you
propose a different system and tell people how they should game it.

I suppose I did.  But I can do worse:

You first determine (via polling or just your best guess) what the two front-runners are (i.e., which two candidates are most-likely to win); of those two, you give one the top score and one the bottom, based on your preference. For all other candidates, if you like it better than your preferred front-runner, you also give it the maximum score; if you like it less than your dis-preferred front-runner, you also give it the minimum score. Any remaining candidates should be linearly-scaled where you find appropriate between the two front-runners.

There's a reason the book was called "Gaming the Vote".

But all voting systems are susceptible to strategic manipulation: score voting performs best with a completely strategic electorate, but it also performs best* with a completely honest electorate.

I'm going to try to stop myself from evangelizing now: we should talk about restrictions/themes for the winter contest, and whether it will happen at all. I only see two games that have had any activity on the wiki in the last month, are there more out there that would enter the contest?

--
Dale Sheldon
dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx