Re: [Icehouse] Homeworlds Terminology

  • FromDon Sheldon <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 1 Apr 2009 13:26:30 -0400
On 4/1/09, Christopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been following the recent Homeworlds discussion with interest, but some of the terminology used has been beyond my understanding.
>
> I'm guessing that when someone referred to a "Gemini homeworld" that means that both pieces in the homeworld are the same, right?

Same size.  Having them the same color would be an even less good
idea.  (Not that gemini isn't sometimes useful.)

> Can someone explain what is meant by "small universe" and "large universe" as well?

When it takes less than three moves to get from one homeworld to the
other.  If either player has home stars that are the same size as each
other or the second player matches the sizes of the first player's
home stars then the game will be in a small universe.

> What is fools mate?

When an early decision guarantees a quick path to victory for the
opposition.  A few simple misteps, especially in the "the second
players makes the first normal move" variant, can end the game in just
a few moves.

--