Re: [Icehouse] Hyperbolic Planar Tesselations

  • FromDenis Moskowitz <dmm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 1 Jun 2009 21:23:14 -0400 (EDT)
> Programming challenge: design a program that takes the number of players as
> N and simulates a martian chess game with a board of form {4,N} with 0
> truncation, then limits movement to squares that are no more than four steps
> from the center point.
> Extra credit: Computer AI.
>
> Please correct me if this is not possible, but it sounds cool.
>
> ~nupanick (or other appropriate name)

At first I thought that you'd have problems with diagonal moves being
not-well-defined, but looking at it I think that it works - you just
have (N - 3) different diagonal directions toward each corner, or
(4 * (N - 2)) possible facings in general.  Imagining a board 8 spaces
across is kind of terrifiying though - maybe you could get away with a
shorter one?
--
Denis M Moskowitz            Jen feroca malbona kuniklo; rigardu liajn
dmm@xxxxxxxxxxx              sovagxajn vangharojn, kaj liajn ungojn kaj