[Icehouse] The numbers of Treehouse

  • FromJonas Kölker <jonaskoelker@xxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 27 Jul 2009 01:51:41 +0200
Hi all.  I'm new to this list. I just got my pieces yesterday and I'm quite
fond of playing with them :)  On a whim I decided to analyze Treehouse.

Here are some highlights:

Each trio can be in one of 204 positions (that's 2 * 2 * 3 * 17).

Six of those positions are one big stack; thirty-six of them are a small stack
and a lone piece (there are 3! permutations of sizes, 3 orientations of the
lone piece and 2 positions of it, relative to the stack).  The remaining 162
are the positions with no stacks (3**3 orientations, 3! permutations).

This means that a two-player game can be in one of 8,489,664 states (204**3),
one for each of the trios.  I imagine they'll be clustered around the 41616
(204**2) ones where the house hasn't been changed.

Some of the moves one can make have more than one "type", i.e. they're both a
tip and an aim, or both a dig and a hop, etc..  As it turns out, it's possible
to arrange the types (except WILD) in a sequence, such that only neighbouring
types have moves in common.  Furthermore, that ordering is unique, modulo
mirroring.

The ordering is this:  TIP - AIM - DIG - HOP - SWAP

The number of moves (summed up for all positions) for the individual types, or
shared between two neighbouring types, are:

TIP only: 84
TIP or AIM: 570
AIM only: 162
AIM or DIG: 312
DIG only: 594
DIG or HOP: 78
HOP only: 588
HOP or SWAP: 84
SWAP only: 528

That's 3000 moves in total, 1044 of which are multi-typed.

If we sum up the above numbers per type (including "TIP or AIM", "AIM only"
and "AIM or DIG" under the "AIM" label), include WILD, and sort this, we get:

WILD: 3000
AIM: 1044
DIG: 984
HOP: 750
TIP: 654
SWAP: 612

If we add this up, we see that if we're in a random position, we (expectedly)
have to choose between one out of (1044+984+750+654+612+3000) / 204 / 6
options.  That's 5.7549019607843137.

One might want to use the above list as a measure of how flexible each kind of
move is.  However, it weighs all positions equally; I'd guess that you'll
rarely see one big stack once your trio has left such a position.

There are 84 combinations of positions and die rolls which force you to alter
the house (if possible), or 14 per die outcome.  If you're in a random
position, then you have approximately 7% (0.068627450980392163) of having to
alter the house.

A thing that might be interesting to compute: given any two positions, the
expected number of turns it'll take to transform one into the other.  And of
course, an optimal strategy :)

Here's to numbers!  Have fun playing :)

--
Jonas Kölker <jonaskoelker@xxxxxxx> <URL:http://jonaskoelker.ignorelist.com>