[Icehouse] Treehouse rules, "ambiguity" (was: The numbers of Treehouse)

  • FromJonas Kölker <jonaskoelker@xxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 31 Jul 2009 16:15:10 +0200
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:19:46PM +0200, Martin Jung wrote:
> Anyway, I wanted to point out that you can find a link to a PDF of the
> extended rules version on
> http://www.wunderland.com/icehouse/Treehouse/Rules.html

Ah, thanks.

I think the point of the sentence "You can only Swap the House during a Wild"
could be made clearer.

Ignoring the context (i.e. the rest of the rules), I can think of three ways
to interpret it:

 - "If you roll a Wild, the only action you can do on the House is a Swap"
 - "If you roll a Wild and do a Swap, you can only do it on the House"
 - "The only way to do a Swap on the House is to roll a Wild"

As it turns out, the third is true, since you can always perform a swap on
your own pieces (and so rolling Swap would force you to).  Since it's a note,
I take it the sentence isn't meant to introduce new rules, only to clarify
existing rules.

I'd suggest phrasing it differently.  Here are some of my suggestions:

 - "You can Swap the House only during a Wild"
 - "You can Swap the House during a Wild only"
 - "Only a Wild can Swap the House"
 - "The only way to Swap the House is w. a Wild"

How do I... uhh... "submit a patch"? ;-)

... And note that some Swap moves are also Hop moves, so you could potentially
Swap the House (in certain limited ways) if you rolled a Hop while all your
pieces were lying down.  Maybe Swap should say "You can't Swap the House when
you roll a Swap."?

(Am I being pedantic?  Possibly.  But I've seen a friend get upset about the
ambiguity of the wording of a Magic: The Gathering card ("each player's life
total becomes the highest life total among all players"), where I saw no
ambiguity at all.)

--
Jonas Kölker <jonaskoelker@xxxxxxx> <URL:http://jonaskoelker.ignorelist.com>