Re: [Rabbits] Nanofictionary question

  • From"Juanpablo Amado" <cardzmaster2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 13 Jul 2007 12:38:37 -0400
Did these people that used resolution as a setting/problem have the card
face down?

Did the card they did use as an ending lay face up or face down? (or did
they make up their own ending)

I don't know, as I was only involved in the judging, after everyone
had finished the "playing cards" portion of the game.

I was in the finals and it was clarified before the Final game that Resolutions could be used in a non-traditional fashion in the game. This didn't affect my story, but I did find the use of a Resolution to be handled in an interresting way.

First of all, most of the Resolutions were used to resolve part of the story but not the whole. Some used it in a completely non-Resolutionaotory (is that even a word?) way, but it had been OKed before teh start of the round by all of us.

IMHO, I think using the Resolution out of sequence in a story is fine as long as it is used ot Resolve part of the story. Take Liam's (Game Winning) story for instance. He used the Resolution as both an early resolution to the tension of possible world destruction and to set the era of the story (just before the Kennedy Assassination). I thought that the use there was brilliantly used and the resolution that came about from his introduction of a final character was great.

Personally, I doubt I'll ever use a resolution this way for two reasons:

1) I'm (goiing to be) a teacher (hopefully) and if I'm teaching the game to a classroom for 4th or 5th graders, I'd want tehm to learn how to compose a linear story as opposed to something non-traditional. Once they grasp the concept of story writing then I *might* let them go out of the box with their story order.

2) I like tradition, and the Resolution just seems like it should be at the end.

But more power to the people who use the Resolution earlier. It makes things more exciting and you're not exactly sure where things will end up.

~JP.