Re: [Rabbits] Are You A Werewolf? Convention Edition/Expansion

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 6 Sep 2007 16:12:50 -0400
> Ponder that a bit; one of the most successful game products at the
> largest convention of its kind in the world WAS NOT SEEN by many of its
> players! Those players saw cardboard mock-ups, without even the product
> name on the back of them. Why?
>
> Because there are no AYAW? special role cards. Period. I know those
> Rabbits would use them, if they could get them without having to buy a
> whole pack just for one Moderator card to mark-up with a Sharpie.
>
> So, now, tell me why it will never happen....

Have you read the Recommendations card included in an AYaW pack?  I
think it covers the Looney Labs stance on additional roles and large
games quite well.  In short:

Andy & co. believe that when there are a lot of people wanting to play,
it's more fun to have a bunch of smaller games near each other, with new
games forming as soon as enough people have died from the old games to
populate them.  Having experienced both the 20-30 person game with lots
of special roles, and the setting of lots of simultaneous 15-person
games, I strongly agree with this opinion that the smaller games are
more fun.

They also prefer the game without any additional roles beyond Werewolf,
Seer, and Villager.

All that said, I think it would be nice to have AYaW Blanks available
for people who want to buy into the LL edition of the game (or already
have), but want to experiment with alternate roles.  Some of those roles
can be quite interesting on occasion, and it seems a shame to have to
tell people, "Sorry, but if you want to try it that way you'll have to
either make your own deck or buy the game from one of the other companies
selling it."

A final point, though: it's been requested before that Rabbits
demonstrate the game according to the LL rules (including the 15 person
limit and no special roles) when demonstrating the game as a rabbit.  On
occasion, when a village has asked me to moderate with a variant, I've
been very careful to be clear that these aren't the official rules; and
I try very hard to stick to the rules as written when introducing new
players to the game.  Not because other versions are wrong (this isn't
anybody's game) or in any way inferior, but because when I'm
representing LL I want to demonstrate the product they're selling as
they prefer.

...but if there were blanks, the people who want to go off and play it
their own way could be doing so with the LL edition (and the blanks
would clearly be something they'd added to the game), which would be
nice.