Re: [Rabbits] Adding More Characters to AYAW??

  • FromMarnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Sep 2007 16:19:34 -0400
On Sep 18, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Timothy Hunt wrote:

It's called 'grammatical case', and in German it involves different
words used as pronouns.
[...]
Dative is typically indirect object.

So...

John [nominative] took Tracy's [genetive] ball [accusative] from the
closet [dative].  Then he [nominative] put it [accusative] back in it
[dative].

But in German (and other Germanic languages such as Icelandic), the dative has taken over some of the functions of the accusative, if I remember correctly.

And Jeff (hi! didn't know you were a Rabbit), German-style grammar probably wouldn't have solved the original problem anyway. I'll try to translate into German when I have a minute and see what I get.

Timothy

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser