RE: [Rabbits] Badge Poll for Rabbits Wiki

  • DateThu, 18 Oct 2007 10:54:25 -0700
> From: "Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> It's a performance issue.  With the number of hits that Wikipedia and
> other Wikimedia wikis get, it's a significant hit.  Nested
> transclusion, for our purposes, shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Also, Wikipedia *does* use nested transclusion, fairly frequently.

Fair enough... with one additional caveat, that we need admins to
manage:

Refer to this Wikpedia page, which explains that these templates (and
other--maybe all others) should be Protected:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:High-risk_templates

I have learned that the wiki (re)builds a page one time, upon editing,
rather than "on the fly" as I suspected. I am sure this is a good idea,
for transaction management... BUT it exposes the wiki to a potential
denial of service attack, if a vandal were to (say) change the Fluxx tag
to something vulgar: every page which calls it (probably most if not all
User pages) will be regenerated. At our (current) population, that's no
big deal. Should we multiply (ahem--our JOBS as Rabbits ;) ) then we
might be setting ourselves up to be attacked easily.

That said, I doubt our numbers will ever hit those of Wikipedia, so our
concerns are a bit smaller scale than theirs.

But it's easy--nay, trivial--to Protect every Template page, given how
rarely they will change once created.

Hmmm... do you have to Unprotect every template that inherits a
meta-template (called "base" in my past post; now I know the real term),
if you change the meta-template? Seems like you would... but maybe the
wiki code is "smart" enough to sort of quasi-Unprotect children of a
meta-template, just for the one rewrite instance. Then, all THOSE
children will push rewqirtes on affected User pages (which won't,
generally, be Protected).

Lots to learn about this stuff... I haven't even found a meta-template
from which to start swiping code, yet, and I'm already ears-deep in wiki
theory.
:)

David