RE: [Rabbits] Badge Poll for Rabbits Wiki

  • DateThu, 18 Oct 2007 10:37:50 -0700
> From: "Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
> > stopped and rewound (or so I thought). Further, you caught the brunt of
> > that peevishness because you happened to be the last to post--not fair
> > of me at all.
>
> Whew, I feel better now.  Apology happily accepted.

Great, thank you.

> I sincerely will try to sandbox something up when I get a chance.

May I suggest that you use Marc's existing User Page Sandbox as a good
spot, if only to consolidate our options?
http://rabbits.continuation.org/wiki/User:Magus/Sandbox/Userbox_Examples

I, too, will give it a whirl--I think I can probably hack an Icehouse
InfoBox (and an instance of a call for one) to make something workable.
We'll see.... :)

> From: Marc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> *not* nesting templates, as doing so leads to problems.  I'm not sure if
> it was for reasons of server efficiency or because they felt in the long
> run it made maintainence even more headachey, but it was very

The latter is what concerned me, but with only one "level" of
instantiation/nesting, it ought to be fairly stable. I imagine that a
nest of a nest of a nest (or two nested children of a parent that takes
multiple children types) could quickly become a headache of
interdependencies; but Don has convinced me that a single level would be
straight-forward (not to mention educational: these are SIMPLE boxes, so
even I ought to be able to parse the code and inheritance, once I can
see the base and an implementation side-by-side).

The point about server impact, however, has we thinking further. There
was a little inkling--a small quiet voice in my head--when I was posting
my last post that went along the lines of "Hmmm... so a call to my user
page will result in about fifteen server-side 'includes,' in addition to
the specific template and icon downloaded to my browser." Do any of the
more code-savvy Rabbits know how much of an impact a single
instantiation causes, when an HTML page has to call another (hidden)
page to process an include?

I mainly dismissed my initial concern by imagining how many such
server-side transactions occur to display ONE page of a forum, with its
20 or 30 calls to database records with, oh, 15 fields each. Compared to
that, server-side-including less than 1 KB per badge to build up the
final rendering of the badge in HTML for the browser seems trivial. But
I'm not sure, so...?

Thanks for thinking about it, guys;
David