Re: [Rabbits] Badge Poll for Rabbits Wiki

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 18 Oct 2007 12:47:53 -0400
On 10/18/07, David Artman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am sorry that I came off testy--again, I did not mean to seem so; I
> was just finding it a bit... bothersome... that a process about 3 months
> down a SLOW road of discussion and preparation was suddenly being
> stopped and rewound (or so I thought). Further, you caught the brunt of
> that peevishness because you happened to be the last to post--not fair
> of me at all.

Whew, I feel better now.  Apology happily accepted.

> Now, if it's possible to "nest templates" so that the con-specific
> template instantiates the base template on-the-fly and populates the
> placeholder text (and table cell colors and anything else we'd tweak on
> a per-badge basis) each time the con-specific template is called, then
> that would certainly be more structured and easier to modify later
> (well, except for the specifically-sized icons). One need only change,
> say, the dimensions of the base template and all specific templates
> which call it would automatically also change, because they always
> "re-generate" themselves by looking first at that base code. (Right?)

That's exactly right.

> If you know how to do that, Don, then please get on-board with the base
> template design. That would, in fact, make it a LOT easier for
> individual Rabbits to make their own badges for the cons (or warrens)
> that they coordinate, because they wouldn't have to wade through all of
> the base template code to find and modify placeholder text (without
> accidentally breaking the code). Rather, they could just "compile" a
> specific template with a string of variable definitions (similar to the
> Bio box or the InfoBox on the Icehouse wiki).

This is precisely the idea.  I'll see if I can find the time to make
an actual concrete offering on the wiki.  Chattering on email comes a
lot more easily for me than wading through the wiki, especially at
work.

> No need to be sorry; your idea has not been present before, and if you
> (or Mark) can pull it off then it's superior. Of course... it's neither
> here nor there WRT what that base template will start out as, size-wise
> (even if it's easy to change, it has to BE something first, to be
> changed, ya?). So the Poll rolls on, even as we are discovering smarter
> ways to implement the final decisions from that Poll.

Yes, the poll continues.  I'm talking about specifics of /how/ to
implement it in a more effecient and maintainable way, not the look
and feel of /what/ to do.  This is a tangential topic.

> simple and making it very hard for group maintenance. If that turns out
> not to be the case, then I very much want us to make such changes now,
> rather than head off in an inferior direction.

I sincerely will try to sandbox something up when I get a chance.

--