[Rabbits] Thoughts on being a Starship Captain

  • FromCarol Townsend <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 8 Nov 2010 19:19:31 -0600
I've just read through Andy's post:
http://www.wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2010/WN.11.08.10.html

...and the connecting link to what we fans/rabbits/demo monkeys are now called:
http://www.wunderland.com/icehouse/StarshipCaptains/Default.html

...and I'm not sure I grok this.

First, I'll admit that I haven't played IceDice, which will be the
newest incarnation of the pyramids now that Treehouse and all previous
versions of the pyramids are retired.  It seems to me that the new
appellation of "Starship Captains" is very pyramid-player-centric.  As
per the site, you must know at least 10 pyramid games, but there is no
stated requirement to know *any* card game.

Now, I've never been hugely into the pyramids - I know some games (I
even made my own pyramid game once upon a time), but I've always been
more of a Looney Card player rather than a Looney 'Mid player, if you
know what I mean.  Just thinking off the top of my head, I know I can
play Treehouse, Martian Coasters, Volcano....uh.... Martian Chess...
ummm.... that one that's played with a CD (Cracked Ice?)..... that's
5.  I guess I don't qualify to be a Captain.  So I'm not a Rabbit any
more, and I'm not a Captain.

Secondly, it just feels somehow... I don't know... not what I'd expect
from Looney Labs.  I understand that they seem to be moving away from
the Hippie Gaming Company to become the company about Smart Games for
Smart People.  That's cool.  But on the Starship Captain's site, it
talks about Throwdowns and Battles, and Multi-Battles and Competition
and War-war-war-war.... it's not the Peace-and-Love,
you're-accepted-as-you-are sort of feeling that drew me in.

I don't know... this is all very new information.  I haven't had time
to do a lot of processing about it.  I haven't been a part of the
behind-the-scenes discussions of things, and this is just my first
impressions.  Basically, I'm trying very hard to put aside my "I don't
like change" thoughts to look at this fresh - and while I don't like
change for the most part, change is also good for an organization.  In
my opinion, as one who has worn the lab coat and ears, the time has
probably come for a change.

But this just feels like a way-beyond-just-a-change sort of change.
This feels like an entire paradigm shift.

The thing that drew me to Looney Labs were the games Aquarius and
Fluxx.  The thing that kept me coming back was the people and the
feeling of The Lab.  I hope that these changes don't leave behind
those things which drew me in and kept me coming back.

Carol
--
Carol Townsend
carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx