Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

[Something] Paradigm patterns

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 13 Jul 2006 13:42:27 -0400
On Jul 13, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Christopher Hickman wrote:

(I'm moving this discussion to the Something list, since it is only
peripherally related to Icehouse.)

Remember that Kory has also set up a Google Group for discussing Paradigm. If people really want to discuss it in depth, that group is probably the best place, though it will need some more members before very much discussion will be able to happen.

Ok, I don't get it. It's a random guess? There doesn't seem to be any logic I can use to intuit the correct color. Am I just dense, or do you have to assume that the pattern is a coherent one and use an "educated"
guess?

As you play, you'll start to see a pattern emerging. It will be pretty random at first, so at first, whenever you get something right, you'll probably want to keep your point and pass the turn on to the next person. After you have an idea of the pattern, though, you can start accumulating multiple points in a particular turn, though it depends on how far you want to push your luck. Once you have enough of the pattern revealed that you can figure out the whole pattern, then you can probably win the game if it gets around to your turn. So yes, you do have to assume that the pattern is coherent and use an educated guess. In this way, it is like Zendo, where the coherency of the pattern is crucial to the game. It is somewhat similar to the Mondo part of Zendo; at the beginning, you might have no idea, but as you play, and form theories, you'll start to get more mondos right, until you have the rule. The thing is, in Zendo, coming up with a coherent rule isn't all that difficult, but in Paradigm, you need to come up with something that is visually coherent, which I think is a little harder.

I think the best way to think about the pattern in Paradigm is to think of it more like a Zendo rule. Actually try and state, in words, what the pattern is. For instance, in one of the games that I played (Kory Heath's Office Space) the pattern was...
(SPOILER WARNING - scroll down for rest of message)

... the pattern was that the rectangles were tiled with unique pentominoes of 3 different colors such that no two pentominoes of the same color were adjacent. I figured out that rule once about half of the tiles in one of the rectangles were flipped, but then I still had to figure out which pentominoes were where, which took a bit more guesswork (if I had sat down to think about it, I probably could have found the unique tiling that fit those criteria and matched what I already had, but I didn't want to spend all the time to do that).