Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

[Something] Honey: was Agave Nectar: was- A Christmas Request

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 16 Dec 2006 07:41:25 -0500
On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Kimberly Terrill wrote:

He used to eat honey, and his asthma was also so severe and he always had hives and I noticed that after he ate honey he'd have manic screaming fits then later his ashtma would get very bad . (apparently kids with respiratory distress can get very scared and just go into violent frenzy- unsure what to do). His dr told me no one is allergic to honey. I kept him off for awhile, but decided to try it to make sure. I gave him toast with honey.He ate 3 bites and slumped over barely breathing. He was on back-to-back breathing treatments for the rest of the week. I switched allergists.

That's unusual. My wife's allergist "prescribed" honey to reduce her symptoms. Were you using local raw honey, or processed commercial honey? All the beneficial stuff gets cooked out of the commercially produced stuff. For any benefit, you have to use raw honey made by local bees (usually best found at Farmers' Markets). Of course, it's probably too late for this advice, since I know that if my daughter had a bad reaction twice, I sure as hell wouldn't try again... But just in case your story scares anybody else off honey, maybe they'll try it Pooh Bear's way first.

Topher