Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Honey: was Agave Nectar: was- A Christmas Request

  • FromKen Stone <ken.stone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 19 Dec 2006 20:16:13 -0500
If anyone wanted to try to use honey to overcome a severe
allergy (to pollen, presumably), then they should start
with a really, really dilute dose (for instance, one drop of
honey in a glass of water, mix well, pour out 99% of the glass,
refill, mix again, take one sip, toss the rest) and slowly work
up from there. You would do this maybe once per week, pausing at
a dose for several months (or even taking a step backwards to
a more dilute dose) when you get to a dilution that evokes any
symptoms. You'd probably also want to have an EpiPen handy, just
in case you had a severe reaction at some step along the way and
suddenly found yourself unable to breathe.

For a very general idea of the theory behind all this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyposensitization

As mentioned in the article, using an oral approach instead of
an injected approach for desensitization is somewhat controversial
and outside the mainstream of medical practice, at least in this
country.

*Warning: too much information in the lines that follow: *
Allergies are mediated by a type of antibody called Immunoglobulin
E (IgE). By repeated re-exposure through very dilute injections,
you can train the body's antibody-producing machinery (B cells) to
permanently switch to making Immunoglobulin G (IgG) against that
allergen instead of IgE. IgG doesn't cause nearly the same problems
as IgE does (at least not against most foreign proteins like those
found in pollens). By ingesting a dilute allergen instead of
injecting it, you'd likely train the body to start making a
slightly different (secreted) type of antibody called Immunoglobulin
A (IgA) instead of IgE or IgG. I think this would still give you the
desired effect, but I'm not absolutely positive about that.
(IgA is normally secreted onto the surfaces of mucous membranes--
mouth, throat, lungs, intestines, etc. and is the main antibody
that protects you against inhaled or ingested viruses, etc. before
they can enter the general circulation to do you harm.)

For more specific info, I'd ask an allergist; I'm only a generalist.

-K