Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] TV Turnoff Week

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 7 Apr 2007 00:25:37 -0400
On Apr 6, 2007, at 11:37 PM, Kimberly Terrill wrote:

We have gone without TV before for a few months... we did it a couple times. I loved it. My husband wouldn't go for no TV again though. But he might. We really don't watch much at all. We haven't had cable for years. Not sure if we ever did. We get 3 or 4 fuzzy channels.

Does no TV me and No network television... but a DVD is fine?

That's what I mean when I say no TV; no broadcast or cable TV. I've actually been getting a little sick of watching DVDs, too. One of my roommates likes to watch something every night (which we can generally do with Netflix), and it ends up being almost the same as TV, but without the commercials.

In general, when I'm not doing it too much, I'm more OK with watching DVDs than TV. It means that you don't have the commercials, don't have the endless series that you watch every week, don't always have something to turn on and just watch for hours, and so on. Of course, TV does have its advantages; you can have much longer, more complex plots, and more detailed character development over the course of one or more seasons than you can in the 1.5-3 hours of a movie. But I find that the negatives of TV outweigh the positives, at least for me.