Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Fuzzy Brain Help

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 29 Jun 2006 09:03:34 -0400
I teach students with various disabilities; I think I've taught just about everything from students who are gifted but emotionally disturbed, to moderately cognitively impaired with and without emotional problems. I have had my students create Fluxx cards in the past (if you look at Hal Haag's Fluxx page for 2002, you'll find some that one of my classes did; the other class that finished the project generated cards that were just too violent for me to really want to admit to and include!). This summer, I have a student who is served through my program for students with cognitive impairments, but is simply emotionally disturbed with a significant learning disability. He has trouble remaining grounded in reality and he's with me for extended school year. I have no other students, so... :) He enjoys projects that require him to do some thinking and research, which also disguise academics. Using the computer is also enjoyable. He also really enjoys Fluxx. I'm not sure why; I would have predicted that the game would drive him up the wall. I decided to use Fluxx as the basis for some project-based learning with him this summer. We're creating a new version of the game that is designed to help my students remember the things they need to perform various life-skills tasks, and to generate discussion. My students have a lot of problems discussing things without a framework, and my hope is that the game will serve as a framework for discussion... I would guess that EcoFluxx serves the same purpose in an environmental science class. We've named the game 'Survival Fluxx', and as I said earlier... some of the goals that we have come up with are academic tasks: Calculate, Balance Your Checkbook, Pay Your Bills. Others are recreational tasks that we do in the community: Swimming, Bowling. Some are tasks that you do either at school, work or at home: Use the Internet, Go To Work, Drive A Car, Make Dinner, Wash the Dishes.

We came up with the goal first, then decided what we needed to basically complete that goal. For Grocery Shopping, we have 'A Cart' and 'Food' as our keepers. For Internet, we have 'Computer' and 'Brain'. For Wash the Dishes, it is 'Dirty Dishes' and 'Soap'. We should finish the planning today and hopefully start designing the cards, and order the Blanxx.

Magi

c. bela schug wrote:

i find the game, on its own, to be a good example for an analogy about
social skills- the rules and goals are always changing, y'know.

so, by all means, figure out the math, BUT do tell me about your plans!

-bela