Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

[Edu] It's official

  • Frommiyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 22 Mar 2007 08:28:23 -0400
I had been told there was a tentative plan for 2 years from now but just this morning I was informed that I will be teaching a single class of with the title Higher Order Thinking Skills.  It will be a 9th grade elective (and therefore give some high school credit) and will focus on teaching critical thinking skills through games and puzzles.

I'm pretty excited about this but I previously thought I had two years to build the class, materials, rubrics, etc. and it now turns out I have less than a year.  As a matter of fact I'm supposed to give the office a paragraph class description by tomorrow morning so they can send it out to the parents and students can start signing up for the class next year.  It is also going to be a full-year class rather than my concept of a short 9 week class so I will need to work on some pretty big projects.  Eeek!

Looney Labs games (in particular the pyramids) will be featured in the class - throughout the entire year and particularly for a game design unit and I will probably be harassing you guys on the list for ideas and the like - especially when I start running out of ideas and need some suggested puzzles and the like to focus on thinking skills.

I'm also going to openly offer to keep anyone interested apprised of what I am doing and share any lesson plans/forms/ideas.  I may even have to start a blog somewhere that I can access from my school to serve as a resource for any interested teachers who may not be on the LL lists.

                            -Ryan

--
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege, labora et invenies.