Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] It's official

  • Frommiyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 22 Mar 2007 11:06:29 -0400
Thanks!

My intention when planning this project from the beginning was to have a capstone game construction project.  I hope to do a practice version using Icehouse pieces as the base and as the year goes on build up a large toychest of just random items and have them create a totally new game using some of those pieces for inspiration (after investigating various game mechanisms through everything like American traditional games, European style games, to off-beat thing like the turnless Brawl, Icetowers (if I ever learn how to play it), and Buttonmen.)

Mensa games will definitely be a target for acquisition but as of right now I'm unsure if I will be given any or much funding over what my after school board game club received this year.  In that case I will be trying to draft some letters asking for donations from the various  game companies and hoping they see the value in donating some games to then have kids playing the games in class and after school.

You are right about Apples to Apples though, that will probably be my first icebreaker game.

                      -Ryan
                      Jackson Junior High

First - congratulations!

Just a place to start - look at the Mensa Select games that you can still get - and use these to your advantage - you can hit most of the core skill areas through these games.  We do this for the gifted and talented programs in our area and have a 3 month curriculum developed (1 quarter of 1 hour/day) that is designed to hit the local standards for most of the 6th grade.  Start with the easiest ones to teach and pull the students together with and then work to the more difficult to learn and play.   Using the Mensa select games adds credibility to your curriculum plan and you can then select other games to meet specific standards or to evaluate the students preformance / comprehension of them.  Many other 'awards' may seem to offer a high level of worth, but in reality are paid for the label type of awards.

One 'trick' we use us Apples to Apples as a ice-breaker and use it over the entire course to introduce new vocabulary.  It's quick, easy and very social and extremely easy to teach.

Also if you have time do a capstone type project where the student create a game themselves.  It forces them to understand the dynamic relationship of rules, probability, and social aspects of the game in a way that no game itself can teach.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pat Fuge
The Head Gnome
Gnome Games