Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] It's official

  • FromKristin <kristin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 03 Apr 2007 18:35:31 -0400
--On April 3, 2007  Kate Jones <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In using games in class to teach - what? - critical thinking,
sportsmanship, strategy, systems organization, reasoning, goal
management, rule creation and team play, I would like to introduce one
other radical consideration: What values are being inculcated? If you
have capturing or other kinds of sabotage towards the other players, you
are perpetuating a predatory social ethic.

Hi Kate!

this discussion reminds me of the game Peaceful Resistance
     <http://www.abstractstrategy.com/peaceful-resistance.html>

Did we ever succeed in putting you in touch with Dave Thornburg
about this wonderful little game of his, Kate?

Also...  did you get the copy of Treehouse that I left for you at the
Ren Fair with someone on your staff last fall?  I just now realized that
I never called to follow up on that sample...  have you ever played
any of the pyramid games?  Have you played Zendo?  or Volcano?

I'm looking forward to Carol's next Acadamy article...  she'll be
talking about using Treehouse in the classroom next...

Thanks everyone for the lively teachery discussions!

-Kristin