Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] Reaching the Educational Market

  • From"Kate Jones" <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 2 Jul 2007 12:23:17 -0400
A quick visit to the ALA's event website shows they're primarily interested
in electronic and online gaming. It's a nuisance for libraries to have
hands-on game equipment with small parts, or cards, where parts can get lost
or damaged through use. On the computer, no problem, no maintenance, no
pilferage. Also, no inventory to buy! It's basically free.

The same objection to having hands-on equipment in public areas comes from
hotels, airports, even schools. They don't want to have to do the
labor-intensive part of counting up all the parts and putting things away
each day and then finding things lost, with no easy way to replace, or
having to clean things. It will be interesting to see how Chicago's new
"Games for Guests" program in selected hotels/motels will work out.

Electronics are the present and the future, especially for institutional
use. We hands-on dodos have a hard road to trudge.

-- Kate Jones
www.gamepuzzles.com