Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Reaching the Educational Market

  • Frommiyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 4 Jul 2007 22:29:08 -0400
Ahh, I had a nice gotcha moment when discussing technology in the classroom with a guy whose specialization  was in technology in education.  He went through this big complex exercises using digital cameras and computers for each student and demoed this sweet lesson on Spanish vocabulary.  He then asked me what I thought of it (I have a reputation for arguing against the inefficient use of technology in the classroom - I prefer things low-fi unless tech is needed).

I reached into my bag and pulled out a stash of pyramids and invented on the spot a method to present the same exact material he presented using a game (Tic-Tac-Doh! to be exact).  I then asked him how much his materials cost per student because mine was 4.50$ a kid (2 kids share a 9$ stash).

It was one of those rare moments of synchronicity having everything there and a flash of insight to create the game.   Unfortunately i think I spent my moment of genius.  So hopefully nobody expects great things out of me anymore. *laugh*

                              -Ryan

ps.  You feeling better to make it to Origins Kimberly?