Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] the printed rules to Fluxx

  • FromKristin Looney <rabbit-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 Jan 2007 11:16:50 -0500
ok, Fluxx fans, we need your help

We all know how much fun Fluxx is. When you learn to play from
a friend, it's really quite easy...  and if it is a bit confusing
at first, your friend can quickly set you straight.

My question is...  what was it you didn't get at first, and how
can we updated the PRINTED rule sheet to teach the game better.

This link shows the rules we have included in the game for years:
<http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Fluxx/pdf/FluxxRules3.0.pdf>

This link is a recent update, only found in the newest print run:
<http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Fluxx/pdf/NewFluxxRules.pdf>

I think we need to do even better than this.  I just got off the
phone with the buyer from a big department store chain in New York.
She took Family Fluxx home and tried playing it with her 10 and 14
year old nieces, and they couldn't figure out how to play.  She
says that their staff actually does have a great deal of hands on
interaction with their customers - but if their staff can't play
it, then they can't sell it. It's just too complicated of a game.

Family Fluxx is NOT a complicated game, but it is a bit tricky
sometimes to get your brain focused in the right direction,
particularly when you are learning from the printed rules.

We need to fix the rules sheet - so that it is the best it can
possibly be to teach the game to people who have never heard of
the game before.

What is it that people don't get that we need to explain better?

Any suggestions?  How can we fix the rules sheet???

-Kristin (she who really really needs to solve this problem)