Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] the printed rules to Fluxx

  • FromChris Goodwin <cgoodwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 Jan 2007 08:32:44 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Kristin Looney wrote:

> ok, Fluxx fans, we need your help
>
> We all know how much fun Fluxx is. When you learn to play from
> a friend, it's really quite easy...  and if it is a bit confusing
> at first, your friend can quickly set you straight.
>
> My question is...  what was it you didn't get at first, and how
> can we updated the PRINTED rule sheet to teach the game better.

> What is it that people don't get that we need to explain better?

I've had to explain it to people myself.  I think the problem is it's
too simple when people are expecting complicated.  "Draw one card, play
one card, do what it says on the card."  That's literally all the rules
you need to play the game; everything else is printed on the cards.

I think the biggest question I've gotten from "non-gamers" is, when I
play a card, what do I do with it?  Maybe a short explanation of each
card type, perhaps taken directly from the card?  I'm really not sure
because I "got" it right away.  But then I'm a Magic player from way
back, so I understood the "do what it says on the card" part.

--
Chris Goodwin
cgoodwin@xxxxxxxxx