Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Card readings w/ Fluxx decks

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 29 Sep 2007 20:44:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Carol Townsend wrote:

First, this may be totally off-topic for Fluxx - if you wish to reply to me
personally offlist, that's more than cool.

I've been invited to help at a library's pre-halloween fest which will
include stories, movies and fun stuff.  Theme is: Monsters.  They need some
help in the "crystal ball/card reading" section - and don't really care if
it's real or fake or theatrical or serious or a mix of all of the above.

My question:  Is there anyone who has ever tried to do any "readings" with
Fluxx cards?  If so, how did it go/how did you decide what would be what?

One of my friends did this... and, if I recall correctly, Cthulhia was the subject. So she may remember more of this.

It was definitely "du wacky du" style. A standard Celtic Cross layout, but no attempt to assign meanings to the cards in advance -- just turn them over and go with what comes to mind.

What I recall (although I may be making this up) is that keepers were easy. Goals worked well too, although they tended to repeat the keepers; you wouldn't sense much difference between "chocolate cookies" and "chocolate", "cookies" appearing separately. Although the standard layout gives specific meanings to each position, so fitting two keeper ideas into one spot has some value.

The rules and actions were hit and miss. But you can generally turn a game instruction into a recommendation or "how am I approaching this problem?" If someone is asking about a relationship problem, and "Rules reset" turns up -- well, lots to work with there.

--Z

*
It's a nice distinction to tell American soldiers (and Iraqis) to die in
Iraq for the sake of democracy (ignoring the question of whether it's
*working*) and then whine that "The Constitution is not a suicide pact."