Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] RE: Must draw first?

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 9 Oct 2007 06:13:44 -0400

On Oct 8, 2007, at 7:58 PM, S Mattison wrote:

On Oct 8, 2007, at 7:55 PM, James Hazelton wrote:
Hm. Well, I stand corrected. However, Andy, I hope that you can explain the things that I thought definitively proved Draw Before Play.

Like the back of the 1 and 2.0 edition boxes ("Draw one card and then play one card."). Does this represent a change from 2.0? Or was the text on the old box incorrect?

I wouldn't say it is incorrect. I would just say it illustrates typical gameplay.

Also, the text on each "Draw" rule seem to assume that the player has already drawn for the turn. Further, why does the player have to " immediately draw extra cards" if there was no pressing timeline in the first place? Will the text on these cards change in subsequent editions to accommodate those who prefer to Play before Draw?

I think "Draw one card *and then* play one card" defines that Drawing
comes before Playing, at least when the draw 1 play 1 card is the only
draw and/or play card in effect. However, I feel that "Immediately"
only refers to the fact that you need to draw the extra cards before
the end of your turn, that is, THIS round and not the next round.

I'd disagree with that.  The text on the New Rule card for any Draw N card is pretty explicit.  It says you must draw now to meet the Draw rule for this turn.  So if you Play a Draw 5 as your first action of your turn, you need to *immediately* draw five cards before doing anything else.  When a card or rule is explicit, you need to do it. When it is left open for interpretation, that's when we get corner cases like "play before draw" and "apply hand limit during my own turn."  :)