Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] RE: Must draw first?

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 9 Oct 2007 12:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Chris Goodwin wrote:

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, James Hazelton wrote:

Hm. Well, I stand corrected. However, Andy, I hope that you can explain the
things that I thought definitively proved Draw Before Play.

Like the back of the 1 and 2.0 edition boxes ("Draw one card and then play
one card."). Does this represent a change from 2.0? Or was the text on the
old box incorrect?

....Or perhaps it's just back cover copy and not binding.

I wrote the back cover copy (and donated it to Looney Labs). It was a long time ago, obviously. I wasn't thinking about this issue at all; I thought (and continued to think, up until yesterday) that the basic rules were unequivocal.

It's possible that Andy already, when 1.0 shipped, had in mind the reservation that the rules shouldn't say outright to draw first. (Anyone want to look at a 1.0 deck's rule sheet? Mine is packed somewhere.) It wasn't a topic that ever came up when I was around, though.

S.Mattison:

Okay, I'll rethink that Fluxx engine I was thinking about creating in Flash.

Honestly, I'm not planning to change Volity Fluxx. It would make the UI more confusing for most players, for nearly no benefit.

(I didn't change Volity Fluxx to implement that "disobeying the hand limit is optional" ruling either. The UI for that would just be icky.)

If I update Volity Fluxx to support Zombie Fluxx, then I'd make the change (for Zombie Fluxx only).

--Z

*
"Bush has kept America safe from terrorism since 9/11." Too bad his
job was to keep America safe *on* 9/11.