Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Monty Python Feedback Feedback

  • FromAndy Looney <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 06 Aug 2008 17:30:22 -0400
My brain doesn't hurt, but it wouldn't surprise me if Andy's did.

You could say that. I was actually whining about this very problem in a meeting just now, and I said "sometimes it's hard being me." The lovely ladies I work with all laughed at me.

His throwing out a few of the cards for comment was like throwing fish
entrails into a pool of sharks.

Yup, that's true.

But it can be a helpful process for getting ideas and clarifying one's
thoughts

That's true too.

and I trust him to sort it all out.

I'm doing the best I can. But it needs to be understood that we're very close to press time and I consider this game just about finished. I'm not looking for a lot of new suggestions at this point.

... since I play Fluxx with my kids, I would be more comfortable
if there were an "It's" Man card rather than a Nude Organist card,

The Nude Organist says in the game. The world of Monty Python has some pretty darned racy stuff in it, and while I do want this to be a family game, I don't think the original source material is properly served by being totally sanitized. Simple nudity is pretty tame, and I think the Nude Organist is tastefully done. (It's also something you would never expect, much like the Spanish Inquisition.)

The It's Man is not in the game, and I'm not going to add him now. Unlike the Nude Organist, which translates well into a card, an It's Man card would be baffling to many in my target audience. (To return to that issue, the type of person I'm most trying to make this game work for is someone who's seen Holy Grail, perhaps a couple of times, and perhaps one or more of the other movies, perhaps a couple of times, but only knows Flying Circus material from having heard people quote it over and over again, or perhaps seeing clips on YouTube.)

But I do thank you-all for the comments and feedback!

Speaking of which, has anyone actually tried using the Get On With It! rule yet? I really like it, but I'm thinking of changing it, so that you draw a hand of 3 new cards instead of redrawing at the current draw level.

Lastly, re Gumby, he's referenced via an action called My Brain Hurts! which allows you to "discard as many of the New Rule cards in play as you feel make your brain hurt too much."

-- Andy