Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] geek testimonials

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 2 Feb 2007 14:52:37 -0500
On Feb 2, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Kristin Looney wrote:

I just started pitching our games to thinkgeek.com, and I
have been telling the buyer that geeks love our games.  We
were guests of honor a a Linux conference once, and Fluxx
and pyramid games are common at such geeky conventions!

so I thought I would put a call out to this list for a
few geek specific testimonials to send them - to help
convince them that our games would be a good fit for
their web site.  Anyone want to take a crack at telling
me what it is that makes our games good geek gifts?

Icehouse is an ideal geek game system. It is a modular, reusable component, much more elegant and efficient than the the bulky, single use boards and pieces used by most games. It has proven to be a wonderful system for experimentation and game design, as an open system that anyone can tinker with. Furthermore, numerous Icehouse games are great geek games; RAMbots lets you program robots, Zendo is a beautiful game of inductive logic, Homeworlds is a great game of scientific conquest, and so on. The sheer elegance, beauty, and simplicity of the Icehouse game system, combined with the great games that are available for it, make it my absolute favorite game system, and in fact several of the games are my favorite games.

Fluxx tickles a common geek funny-bone; geeks tend to love anything meta, or higher-order. A game in which the cards change the rules of the game as you play allows geeks to manipulate the game from within the game, satisfying that meta-hacking instinct, and is also just fun for geeks who like to tinker and change things. I usually get more fun out of setting up interesting combinations of rules (draw 4, play 5, X=X+1, or maybe draw 5, play 1, first play random, better watch out for that 10 cards in hand goal) that just make the game chaotic and crazy, or that make the strategy change in interesting ways, than I do by trying to win.

Brian Campbell

I'm listed as "UberGeek" on my roster, but that might be a bit presumptuous. You could list me as "Computer Proggammer", "Educational Games Programmer", "Hacker", or something similar if you want. Hmm. You could list me as "Metaprogrammer", given the content of my testimonial and the fact that I develop programming languages for educational games using higher-order techniques and metaprogramming.