Re: [Icehouse] Extend IGDC Judging?

  • From"Avri Klemer" <avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Sep 2007 14:09:50 -0400
I was genuinely undecided until Carl's email. But on reading this I realize that precedent is an issue. Next time up, are we going to allow a designer to enter (or edit) a game after the deadline?

I vote "No".

I think the 2 day buffer ought to satisfy both sides of the fence, as well as fence-sitters.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Worth" <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Icehouse Discussion List" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Rabbits List" <rabbits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] Extend IGDC Judging?

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:42:13 -0700, David Artman wrote:
So I will leave it to y'all: IF you care, reply with a YES or a NO to
extending to October 1st.

I vote no.

I've got feedback on the games that I'd like to share before I lose
it, (yes, I'm too lazy to type it up just to save it). Plus, judges
and designers that put in hard work on time deserve to get rewarded by
hearing the results at the expected time.

There is one more game I was really hoping to get to, but if I haven't
yet, then maybe there was a reason, (name didn't make it stand out?
rules seemed too overwhelming at first glance? didn't sound as fun as
other options from reading the rules?). But the implicit two-day
extension does give me room for that anyway.

And finally, deadlines only work if you stick to them. Extending the
deadline now sets a bad precedent for future competitions if you want
to encourage people to participate early.

36 submitted votes actually sounds pretty good to me. Any idea how
that compares to previous contests? It definitely doesn't sound so
small that there's a need to go begging for more votes anywhere.