Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter (and beyond)

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 04 Oct 2007 09:42:42 -0700
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:25:45 -0400, miyu wrote:
> As a side note to this, do you feel more discussion occurs on the list
> rather than the wiki?  I find the format of a wiki difficult to maintain the
> back and forth discussion that comes from a straight forum or a thread of
> email.  As such, I rarely log into the wiki but participate in all the
> discussion on the list.  Am I an anomaly?

I've read all the IGDC discussion on the list, (I don't recall if I've
actually contributed anything substantive to the issues being
debated).

I've rarely edited the wiki, and have almost never looked at any
"talk" pages.

I like wikis. They're great at what they do well, (the talk page is
excellent for a random visitor to note something while reading, for
example). But I don't think that actual discussion is something that
wiki pages do well at all.

So if you're an anomaly, then I am too.

-Carl

[*] One can argue benefits for wiki talk pages as well. One point in
their favor is that people can participate in only those topics that
they are interested in. At the same time this is also the biggest
failing of wiki-based discussions: It's hard to make people aware of
new, potentially interesting topics. So there's a tendency to form
tiny subsets of the community around specific issues rather than
engaging the community as a whole in the discussion.

I greatly prefer a mailing list where everything comes by, and I can
fairly easily ignore entire threads where they don't interest me.