Re: Discussion paradigms (was Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter (and beyond))

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 4 Oct 2007 14:04:25 -0500
Marc Hartstein writes:
>Mailing lists allow *me* to choose a UI, so I can decide how I want the
>data presented and how I want to interact with it.  Most forums are
>implemented with only a single (these days typically web-based) UI layer
>available.  Using Wiki has the dual problem that it forces and single UI
>*and*, as Dale mentions, it's not designed for discussion.

Yup.  IOW, email (and usenet, though it doesn't scale as well) rock,
web-based forums are teh suxxor.

>The UI thing is a big deal for me.

Me as well.  I wouldn't pay nearly as much attention to this list if I
couldn't ignore 60% of the traffic.

>I'd support a move to a multi-UI supporting forum, but I only know of
>one, and I'm not sure whether the project has all the features we'd need
>to justify the switch.

What I think we really want is a good rss/style messaging system
(jabber might do well) with email, IM, and forum-style backends.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'