RE: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter 2008 is ready for announcement tomorrow!

  • From"Bob Winans" <rwinans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 9 Nov 2007 10:15:59 -0500

O.K.

Let a new voice try to shed a light on this.

Jorge: yes you have a point that some games could be played with other pieces.

As an example let’s use CHESS.

I *could* cut up a bunch of paper squares, write the letters Q,K,P,B,Kn,R in red on one set and black on another, creating a chess set.

I *might* do this to play test the game, if I didn’t already have a chess set.

If I like the game, I would then probably BUY a chess set.

Not because I couldn’t continue to play with the paper pieces, but that the game is more enjoyable with the proper pieces.

The spirit of the contest is to promote the sale of a second set by increasing the number of games that can be played with TWO sets of treehouse.

The thing we (as a group) should strive to avoid is a game that SAYS it requires two sets, but could EASILY be played with one set.  (See the blue vs. blue & green example below)

This is what I believe David is trying to communicate to you.