Re: [Icehouse] CRP Ranking: Can It Skip Ranks?

  • FromDoug Orleans <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 7 Feb 2008 12:52:02 -0500
David Artman writes:
 > Suppose someone sends me a ranking with:
 > 1) AAA
 > 2) BBB
 > 8) CCC (i.e. wanting to assert that CCC was so bad that all other games
 > are above it, but no opinion on those other games)
 >
 > Will that work alone, or would I have to add in this "padding" to make
 > that "ranked 8th" or "absolute worst" status for CCC?
 > 1) AAA
 > 2) BBB
 > 3) DDD, EEE, FFF, GGG, HHH
 > 8) CCC

In theory, Condorcet can accept any partial matrix, so you could say
that BBB > CCC and DDD > CCC without asserting any relationship
between BBB and DDD.  However, the way we have been doing it (and
probably the way the script is configured) is requiring a total
ordering (with ties) among the games mentioned on the ballot, i.e. a
list from 1 to N, with no gaps.

My preference would be to keep it simple.  Also, I think if someone is
convinced that CCC is worse than DDD without having played DDD, then
he should be able to decide if DDD is worse than BBB too.  (And if
not, then the DDD > CCC judgement is suspect too.)

--dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx