Re: [Icehouse] CRP Ranking: Can It Skip Ranks?

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 7 Feb 2008 14:56:30 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, David Artman wrote:

Suppose someone sends me a ranking with:
1) AAA
2) BBB
8) CCC (i.e. wanting to assert that CCC was so bad that all other games
are above it, but no opinion on those other games)

This says the person has opinions about three games, and CCC is the worst of those three. Games DDD-HHH might have any quality at all -- better than AAA, worse than CCC, in between -- the voter has no idea.

Will that work alone, or would I have to add in this "padding" to make
that "ranked 8th" or "absolute worst" status for CCC?
1) AAA
2) BBB
3) DDD, EEE, FFF, GGG, HHH
8) CCC

This says the person has opinions about eight games, and CCC is the worst of those eight.

I don't know which these two possibilites the voter meant. The system implicitly assumes that if the voter never even looked at games DDD-HHH, then he's in the former case. (He has no idea about them.)

If it were me, I'd tell the voter to follow the instructions, provide a list, and stop trying to wedge in words like "absolute worst". It only confuses matters.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't thrown you in military prison
without trial, it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not
because of the Fifth Amendment.